Breast imaging – Breast ultrasound – Indications
- Breast ultrasound is the diagnostic imaging method of choice for women younger than 40 years with breast signs and symptoms.
- It is also the preferred imaging modality for pregnant and lactating women.
- Supplementary whole-breast ultrasound is used in screening of women with dense breasts on mammography .
- Breast ultrasound is used to evaluate clinically palpable mammographically occult masses in breasts .
- It is also used as an adjunct to mammography for the evaluation of abnormalities detected on mammography (targeted ultrasound).
- It provides useful guidance for interventions, both diagnostic and therapeutic.
Click on the pictures to magnify and display the legends
Click on this icon to display a case study
IARC, 150 Cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon CEDEX 08, France - Tel: +33 (0)4 72 73 84 85 - Fax: +33 (0)4 72 73 85 75
© IARC 2023 - All Rights Reserved