Clinical breast examination (CBE) – Practical tips when performing breast examinations
- Be sensitive to the woman and give her opportunities to express any concerns before and during the examination.
- Throughout the examination, approach the woman gently and avoid any sudden or unexpected movements.
- Perform each step gently and ask the woman if she feels any discomfort during the examination. Check her facial expressions and body movements to see whether she is uncomfortable.
- Have a clean sheet or drape to cover the woman’s breast that is not being examined, if needed.
- In premenopausal women, CBE is to be avoided during menstruation as the breasts may be tender. Postmenopausal women may have CBE performed at any time.
- On average, the time required to perform a CBE is 10 minutes.
Click on the pictures to magnify and display the legends
Click on this icon to display a case study
IARC, 150 Cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon CEDEX 08, France - Tel: +33 (0)4 72 73 84 85 - Fax: +33 (0)4 72 73 85 75
© IARC 2023 - All Rights Reserved