VIA procedure Ė Conclusion of examination
Steps for the conclusion of the examination:
- After completing the assessment of any changes appearing after application of acetic acid, use a fresh dry cotton ball to wipe the excess acetic acid from the vagina.
- Gently remove the speculum.
- Dispose of the used cotton balls in appropriate waste disposal bags.
- Immerse the used speculum and forceps (and any other instruments used) in 0.5% chlorine solution (kept in a plastic bucket) for 10 minutes, for the purpose of decontamination.
- Immerse both gloved hands in 0.5% chlorine solution briefly, and remove the gloves by turning them inside out.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, and wipe them with a clean dry towel or air-dry.
- Help the woman to get up from the examination table.
Click on the pictures to magnify and display the legends
IARC, 150 Cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon CEDEX 08, France - Tel: +33 (0)4 72 73 84 85 - Fax: +33 (0)4 72 73 85 75
© IARC 2023 - All Rights Reserved