Procedure of collecting samples for an HPV test – Preparation for sample collection for HPV testing
Click on the pictures to magnify and display the legends
HPV sample collection kits may be different for different tests. Usually the kit contains a brush or a swab and a tube containing the sample collection medium. Ensure that you are familiar with the contents of the kit that you are going to use. If instructions are included in the kit, read them. Sometimes the specimen collection tube and the brush are available separately.
Follow these steps:
- Open the package of the HPV sample collection kit from the marking provided, and take out the specimen collection tube.
- Write the woman’s name, her identity number, and the date of sample collection on the tube with a permanent ink marker pen or apply a pre-printed label.
- Complete the HPV test requisition form, which will accompany the sample to the laboratory.
- Keep the labelled tube and the specimen collection brush or broom in the tray.
- Ensure that the woman has emptied her bladder.
- Help the woman onto the examination table, position her with her legs bent at the knees or on stirrups or leg rests, and drape her appropriately.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and wipe them with a clean towel or air-dry.
- Wear gloves on both hands.
- Switch on the light source, focus it properly on the external genitalia, and inspect them for any obvious abnormalities.
The next step of sample collection for HPV testing is inspection of the external genitalia
IARC, 150 Cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon CEDEX 08, France - Tel: +33 (0)4 72 73 84 85 - Fax: +33 (0)4 72 73 85 75
© IARC 2023 - All Rights Reserved