Treatment by cold-knife conization – Side-effects and complications
The side-effects and complications of cold-knife conization are similar to those of LLETZ, although the frequency and intensity of these tend to be much higher with cold-knife conization.
The side-effects and complications are:
The post-treatment advice and follow-up
- Primary haemorrhage during or immediately after surgery
- Secondary haemorrhage due to postoperative infection
- Postoperative infection characterized by foul-smelling vaginal discharge, bleeding, and lower abdominal pain with or without fever
- Cervical stenosis
- Cervical incompetence, leading to second-trimester miscarriages in subsequent pregnancies
- Premature rupture of membranes and preterm labour in subsequent pregnancies.
protocols for cold-knife conization are the same as those for LLETZ.
IARC, 150 Cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon CEDEX 08, France - Tel: +33 (0)4 72 73 84 85 - Fax: +33 (0)4 72 73 85 75